Posted by yellow7 in SWF Studio V3 on Nov 25 2008, 12:45 pm

We are attempting to load a swf file in our application using ssCore.Browser. When we use the following code the area where the swf file should be is just a black box. When we rollover that black area ( where the swf should be ) the swf file magically appears.

ssCore.Browser.setPosition( {x:200, y:124} );
ssCore.Browser.setSize( {width:800, height:526} );
ssCore.Browser.allowMenu( {flag:false} );
ssCore.Browser.open( {} );
ssCore.Browser.setURL({url:"startdir://homepage.swf"});
ssCore.Browser.setNotify( {event:"onActiveElementChange"} , { callback:"onActiveElementChanged" , scope:this } );

We are hoping to have the swf appear without the need to rollover that area ;).

Please help. :)

Posted by pompeyd in SWF Studio V3 on Nov 26 2008, 05:31 am

Hi yellow7,

Why are you using the Browser Object to load a swf file?

You only need to use the normal Flash load commands. Also, if you need to interact with the swf file you are loading, it will be much simpler loading it as a MC rather than having the 'barrier' of the Browser between your main swf and the loaded swf.

If you really want to use the Browser Object, simply embed the swf file into a html page and then load the html page into the Browser Object. It should display fine then.

HTH

Paul

Posted by yellow7 in SWF Studio V3 on Nov 26 2008, 08:32 am

We have about 50 swf files that are independant of the main flash. We do it this way because we go back and forth between pdfs and swf files in our application and we need to make multiple changes to these swf files throughout the year which only requires us to open those individual files and make changes ( not the main flash ).

Apparantly, according to Northcode Support ( who I might add has be very helpful with this ) this is an issue that seems to be new to 3.6. We have used SWF Studio for 3 years on this project and this is the first time we have not been able to load swf files into the "container".

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Nov 26 2008, 10:10 am

It's the virtualization layer that's getting in the way. It might take a whlie to find and fix so I can't tell you when it will get done. I think Derek showed you a nasty little workaround (move the mouse over the area to make it repaint). We can also do a custom build for you that uses an older version of the virtualization layer. We haven't tested that configuration, but it was stable enough for 3.5 and it would solve your problem without requiring any funky mouse magic. It should also just keep working once we get the virtualization stuff fixed. Drop us an email and let us know which way you want to go.

Posted by mbd in SWF Studio V3 on Nov 26 2008, 11:02 am

QUOTE:
We have about 50 swf files that are independant of the main flash. We do it this way because we go back and forth between pdfs and swf files in our application and we need to make multiple changes to these swf files throughout the year which only requires us to open those individual files and make changes ( not the main flash ).
You don't need to use the Browser object to do this. And you don't have to touch your main FLA file to load SWFs in. Why not just load the SWF into a movieclip?

my_mc.loadMovie("file.swf");

Just hide the Browser object (ssCore.Browser.setVisible({flag:false})) when you want to load a SWF file and display it when you want to show a PDF.

You will need to resize the SWF to fit the area, but that's pretty easy to code.

Also, you won't get the right-click menu appearing like you do with the SWF being in the browser. SWF Studio lets you control whether or not the right-click menu will appear in your application and the browser, but not a control within the browser.

Just a thought.

Posted by yellow7 in SWF Studio V3 on Dec 01 2008, 10:34 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd like to avoid this method if at all possible because we have 3 applications that would then need to be recoded to work in this fashion. We have literally built on to these applications over the last 3 years by simply overwritting the pdfs with the new updates and opening up the individual flas ( swf files ) and updating the content on those. So, we don't have to change anything in the main applications or how they load these swfs...so far that is.

But.......I do think you might have a more longterm solution here. Should we decide to use this method, what would we need to do to resize the swf?

Posted by arkeo in SWF Studio V3 on Apr 17 2009, 12:18 am

Has there been a solution to this problem yet?

We have a CBT with a Flash shell that uses the browser to display HTML that also includes .swf files. It is done that way so that individual HTML pages can be modified without having to recreate the whole system.

We have several versions of the CBT and I updated one of them with a previous version of Northcode and didn't have this problem. I'm in the process of updating the other versions of the program, but unwisely chose to update SWF Studio before starting the process.

I updated from 3.4 to 3.6. Should I just go back to 3.4 or is there a fix available?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Apr 17 2009, 10:28 am

We did a special build of 3.6 that fixed this issue but the same fix won't be in 3.7 because we've changed the way we handle the Flash OCX. Starting in 3.7 if there's no Flash player installed on the system, the browser won't be able to display SWFs (just like in the real world). If you send your serial number to support@northcode.com and mention this post we'll send you a link to a build of 3.6 that will fix this for you.