Posted by jimbooth97 in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 16 2008, 11:01 am

I have deployed a swf studio 3.5 build 314 app that connects to a MS database which is co-located with the exe. It works fine on vista home, but at a customers school, it does not 'seem' to find OR cannot connect to the database. The exe open perfectly, but no info is obtained from the database.

I doubt the connection string is the issue, but thought I would put it in just in case..

ssCore.ADO.setConnectString({connectString: "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Persist Security Info=False; Jet OLEDB:Database Password=mypassword; Data Source=" + ssGlobals.ssStartDir + "\\mydatabase.mdb;"});

The school is not near me so I am trying to troubleshoot this from afar! Not being to familiar with VISAs permissions, thought I would look to this forum for some expertise.

Thanks for any advise. I am not sure where to begin my troubleshooting efforts.

Jim


Posted by mbd in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 16 2008, 12:04 pm

It depends on where your EXE is located. There are some places where, depending on permissions, applications can't write to. Typical users can't write to the Program Files directory, for instance. So, if your EXE is located there along with the database you might have problems since a lock file is written in the same directory as the MS Access database.

Schools tend to give users limited access so this might be the case, even in a different directory.

The EXE will either have to be run with admin privileges, which will probably not be allowed in a school, or you'll have to move the database to another location, like the allusersappdata:// directory. That directory should be writable by all users.


Posted by jimbooth97 in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 16 2008, 12:30 pm

Ok, thanks, I will give that a try. That is what I thought it might be.. some restrictions on vista.


Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 16 2008, 01:45 pm

You can quickly determine if it's a rights issue by having them right click on the EXE and choosing "Run As Administrator". If it works when they start it that way, then the limited user doesn't have permission to access something the app needs.


Posted by jimbooth97 in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 16 2008, 02:16 pm

I only have vista home, which it works fine on. I even moved the folder (and database) to the Program Files and it worked fine there. I just got an email that this is the instructors HOME computer that it is having issues, so I am less sure it is a schools "locked" down security. But it could be vista PRO or something like that.

Things are always so hard to fix when I can't replicate them!! And even harder when I am not that familiar with Vista issues.

Thanks tim, will give the RUN as Administrator a go!


Posted by jimbooth97 in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 16 2008, 05:36 pm

Just an update, everything is working perfectly now.. I should mention that one of the things the customer had to do was place some zipped files in the same folder as a previously installed (earlier version of swf studio) application that did not work in Vista. The zipped files included the new exe. Wish I could say for sure what the issue was, but it could have been one of two things.

1. We moved the files out of the program file directory.

or

2. She may have been trying to run the exe from the zipped file which did not have the database or any of the other required files.

Don't know for sure which it was, but it is running now..

Thanks Tim and MBD for your quick help on this.

jim