Posted by sgomes in SWF Studio V3 on Jun 03 2008, 01:35 pm

Hi

I have program for some time that works fine in XP, but now need to upgrade to VISTA.

The problem is when I call the program I get a error:

unexpect error; quitting

I launch the program as a screensaver(SYSTEM USER):

The problem is that I'm runnig the program as a screensaver of the computer before the the login.

When a computer start in VISTA it stop loading in a window that has some icon of the users to make login... well I using the sreensaver of that window to run the application...

you can simulate altering registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ScreenSaveTimeOut"="5"
"SCRNSAVE.EXE"="c:\\flash_app.exe"

If I use the project.exe from flash it self, it works... but using the .exe generated by studio does not work.

probably is some security issue
I try to desactivate UAC but still does not work.

any ideas?

attachments: error northcode.jpg  

Posted by mbd in SWF Studio V3 on Jun 03 2008, 03:18 pm

What version of SWF Studio are you using?

Why are you editing the registry in this way? You shouldn't have to touch the registry to get a screensaver to work.

Why are you building an EXE instead of an SCR? SWF Studio outputs SCR files, which are screensaver files for Windows. You can then just right-click the SCR to test it or install it.

Posted by sgomes in SWF Studio V3 on Jun 04 2008, 05:40 am

QUOTE: from mbd;44533
What version of SWF Studio are you using?

Why are you editing the registry in this way? You shouldn't have to touch the registry to get a screensaver to work.

Why are you building an EXE instead of an SCR? SWF Studio outputs SCR files, which are screensaver files for Windows. You can then just right-click the SCR to test it or install it.

This works for XP.

I had try the SCR file, put does not work in this stage (screen saver for login page).

I created a SCR file just with a image (no code) and use the SWF studio and I get this error.

The version I'm using is the last one (I have update yestarday, to check if was a version problem).

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Jun 04 2008, 04:26 pm

Login screensavers are a special case. We'll have to check this out and see what Vista is doing differently that makes this fail.

Posted by sgomes in SWF Studio V3 on Jun 12 2008, 06:05 am

QUOTE: from northcode;44554
Login screensavers are a special case. We'll have to check this out and see what Vista is doing differently that makes this fail.

Any Ideas?

If I put for example cmd.exe as login screensaver, it opens Command Prompt... put then if I open a exe with a exe generated with studio it gives the error mention above?!! strange

In the command prompt I can open all programs, for example: notepad, explorer, etc....

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Jun 12 2008, 09:57 am

Then maybe you should use CMD.EXE as your screensaver. Oh wait, that's right CMD.EXE doesn't make for a very exciting screensaver.

If your screensaver works as a normal Vista screensaver, but not as a logon screensaver then there must be something different about the environment the screensaver is running in that's preventing it from working.

This is going to be pretty tough to diagnose since we can't run the debugger before we logon.

One thing you could try is changing the requestedExecutionLevel in the application manifest from the default "asInvoker" (whatever that means pre-login) to "requiresAdministrator" or "highestAvailable" and see if that makes any difference.

asInvoker - the same token as the parent process

highestAvailable - the highest privileges the current user can obtain

requireAdministrator - runs only for administrators and requires that the application be launched with the full token of an administrator

I have no idea what the parent process of the login screensaver is, but this introduces some huge security concerns. Whatever the parent process can do the screensaver can do. Sound dangerous? It is.

Posted by maxxp in SWF Studio V3 on Oct 05 2009, 01:48 am

QUOTE: from northcode;44654

Then maybe you should use CMD.EXE as your screensaver. Oh wait, that's right CMD.EXE doesn't make for a very exciting screensaver.

If your screensaver works as a normal Vista screensaver, but not as a logon screensaver then there must be something different about the environment the screensaver is running in that's preventing it from working.

This is going to be pretty tough to diagnose since we can't run the debugger before we logon.

One thing you could try is changing the requestedExecutionLevel in the application manifest from the default "asInvoker" (whatever that means pre-login) to "requiresAdministrator" or "highestAvailable" and see if that makes any difference.

asInvoker - the same token as the parent process

highestAvailable - the highest privileges the current user can obtain

requireAdministrator - runs only for administrators and requires that the application be launched with the full token of an administrator

I have no idea what the parent process of the login screensaver is, but this introduces some huge security concerns. Whatever the parent process can do the screensaver can do. Sound dangerous? It is.

ive tried all these and no luck.
I have a default screensaver that writes to a local file, no matter where i place that local file, the screensaver wont activate under vista.
Any assistance in this would be great as its been a real pain in the butt.
my current workaround is to launch the computer with a default login account and immediately launch the ss with password protection on the ss enabled, pretty much the same as a blank login but runs the screensaver as that permissions.

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Oct 05 2009, 10:04 am

What are you actually trying to do with the logon screensaver?

Posted by goodnite in SWF Studio V3 on Jun 02 2010, 12:04 am

We too run a pre-logon screen saver which I created with SWF Studio 2.3 that displays rolling banners (using http calls to download jpg/swf) under WinXP. It works very well and even have a button on our screen saver to allow user to reset their password via an webpage using browser plugin.

Under Win7 / Vista, the screen saver displays "unexpected error" message when activated. It works fine when a user is logged on, but not pre-logon. I initially thought it may be the complexity of our screen saver. So I created a very simple screen saver (just display test on screen, no animation whatsoever), compiled it with the lastest swf studio 3.7 build 197. It still comes up with the same error at pre-logon.

Creating the screen saver with a different flash -> scr compiler seems to work, but of course we don't get to use the funky features that comes with swf studio.

So, any further developments into this since the last person raised this issue?

Thanks
Francis

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Jun 02 2010, 10:06 am

I've been playing with a different solution that will be part of the release after 3.8 but if you want to give it a try I can whip up a special build for you. Just send your serial number to support@northcode.com and I'll hook you up. I haven't tried this with a logon srceensaver but it's worth a shot.