Posted by artaban in SWF Studio V3 on May 07 2008, 12:46 pm

I am trying to use an active X called Active Label
( http://www.newobjects.com/product.asp?Category=73 ) to print easily labels from my flash (AS3) kiosk application.

Although the activeX works pretty well in a webpage, it does not work at all with SWF Studio. I receive a "Error (3) : failed to create active X object".

I have checked the use of another activeX (basically the pdf reader) and everything is ok.

Does someone know what the problem could be?
Thanks for your answers. :)

Posted by mbd in SWF Studio V3 on May 07 2008, 01:30 pm

This may seem obviousl, but make sure you install the control.

Not all ActiveX objects may be created using SWF Studio. To check to see if your ActiveX object can be created before you do any coding, open ActiveX Info, an application accessible from SWF Studio (click the arrow next to the Help button and then click ActiveX Info).

If your control is not listed there, then your SWF Studio application will not be able to create it.

If you know it works in a web page, then the alternative is to use the embedded browser and communicate with the control via SWF Studio's JScript implementation and JavaScript on the web page. For more information on this type of communication see this post:
http://www.northcode.com/forums/showthread.php?p=38871#post38871

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on May 07 2008, 01:59 pm

I just added a new problem report about this error creating ActiveX object. It was reported and fixed a while back, but I forgot to add the report. If you need this fix immediately, email your serial number to support@northcode.com and we'll get you a copy of the latest development build.

Posted by artaban in SWF Studio V3 on May 07 2008, 05:08 pm

I guess it is properly installed because it appears in the ActiveX Info and it works on a local webpage I build.

I have checked the repport you mentioned. I am indeed using Win Vista.

At the moment, I have no serial number and I am using the trial. I really consider buying a licence but providing it is the first time I use SWF Studio I would like to be sure it will work fine before any expense. For my project, controling label printings (and I have not found any other way than through an ActiveX) is crucial and I hope I can achieve that with your soft (otherwise I will have to check that with others swf2exe).

thanks for your help.

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on May 08 2008, 10:35 am

It's not that anything is registered incorrectly, it's just done differently by some controls on Vista. Send us your email and I'll make a trial version of the development build for you to try.