Posted by Clovis in SWF Studio V3 on May 05 2008, 12:02 pm

Hi NC,

I come back with this question because I haven't heard any news about it for some time.

Just to remember what I'm talking about : I have developped an application that embed images, sounds and any sort of files into a encrypted and compressed file. These big files can be easily written with appendToFile. But when they reach a certain size (let's say 25MB or 30MB), SWF Studio is not able to read them back anymore (result == undefined). That's an uncomfortable situation :whacko:

Do you have any information concerning this problem ?

Thanks

Posted by Clovis in SWF Studio V3 on May 07 2008, 10:46 am

Anything ? :)

Posted by mbd in SWF Studio V3 on May 07 2008, 11:19 am

When you read a text file using FileSys.readFile you're receiving undefined? You're seeing this in the callback? You shouldn't be getting undefined for the result unless nothing was passed, which means there was probably an error. Are you checking the success property?

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on May 07 2008, 02:09 pm

Until we add support for reading files in chunks you could always write each chunk to a separate file (file.1, file.2, file.3, etc) and keep file.0 as the master file to keep track of the parts. It's not a perfect solution, but it will allow you to keep working.

Posted by Clovis in SWF Studio V3 on May 07 2008, 02:30 pm

Thanks Derek, I didn't read my notes before posting (this is an old wish/problem). Fact is that readFile DOES NOT return anything when attempting to read big text files (>30MB) - nothing means no undefined, no error...

Tim told me this bug is related to this known problem. I was just asking if you've been further concerning this one.

This software is already public and works like a charm with smaller files but its future highly depends on this point. That's why I was mentioning "read file in chunks" as a possible solution.

Thanks for your help :)

Posted by Clovis in SWF Studio V3 on May 07 2008, 02:34 pm

QUOTE: from northcode;44189
Until we add support for reading files in chunks you could always write each chunk to a separate file (file.1, file.2, file.3, etc) and keep file.0 as the master file to keep track of the parts. It's not a perfect solution, but it will allow you to keep working.

That's a good idea but our users are anyone, meaning they will probably want to move their files from time to time :)

This means that you can't tell me when it will be done - apart from "when it will be done" ? :D

Posted by AGo in SWF Studio V3 on May 07 2008, 04:31 pm

I have a plugin that allows you to read a text file line by line.
However there would be a bit of rewriting neccessary to make it unicode-compatible, but if that sounds like a viewable solution to you (or anybody else who might read this) feel free to contact me.

I have never tested it on files with more then like 1MB, so there might be (avoidable) performance issues as well.

Posted by Clovis in SWF Studio V3 on May 07 2008, 05:54 pm

Thanks Ago. Line-by-line could do the trick. I'll contact you by PM.