Posted by manju_kn in SWF Studio V3 on May 04 2008, 08:49 am

Hi,

I would like to know if there are any methods to refresh the contents of a folder.

I am using SWF studio V3 and Windows Vista

I am using a 3rd party utility which will extract the files from *.cab files to a particular folder. I noticed a strange behavior in Windows Vista where the folder doesn't refresh until the entire operation is completed (all the files are extracted). Where as Windows XP refreshes the content as and when a file/folder is copied.

Please help me with possible solutions.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on May 05 2008, 10:27 am

Windows Vista includes a LOT of new optimizations to the file system that were introduced to improve actual and perceived performance. Constantly polling a folder for changes is expensive and is likely something that Vista has optimized out. I'm guessing that there isn't a lot you're going to be able to do about this.

Posted by manju_kn in SWF Studio V3 on May 07 2008, 07:21 am

Hi Thanks for the response.

Please let me know if there is a way to refresh the folder. My application needs to know the folder size every 5 seconds.

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on May 07 2008, 10:35 am

If you want to display the list of files in your application you can do that with the FileSys plugin and the file listing functions but you can't make Explorer update any faster unless you sit there pressing the refresh (F5) key. There may be a setting in the registry that controls this, but the deisgners of Vista made this change in functionality for a reason and if you change the behavior (if it's possible) you could have unhappy users on your hands.