Posted by Morphosis in SWF Studio V3 on Apr 30 2008, 04:45 am

Hi All

It's been a long time since I have been here and have got a little (A lot!) rusty ;)

I have been tasked at work to come up with a solution to track peoples time on projects. I am creating a proof of concept and need it to do the following:

• Read/write to Excel which I have read is possible with ADO

• Know if the Excel file is open and highlight it unable to write to the Excel

• Open up application in the morning, Store locally selected information and update when application is shutdown at the end of the day

If all of the above is possible then thats great I'll crack on! if not then back to the drawingboard.

If any of you know of any examples or functions which might help me learn a little quicker, then please do not hesitate to post them here ;)

Many thanks

Mark

Posted by pompeyd in SWF Studio V3 on Apr 30 2008, 06:03 am

Hi Morphosis,

Welcome back :)

1. Check out ADO.setConnectString. There are links to Microsoft pages detailing the required connection strings.

2. ssCore.SysInfo.getWndowList may help you find out if a specific Excel file is open.

3. ssCore.FileSys.writeToFile and appendToFile will enable you to write data locally, readFile enables you to read it back, so from there you can do what you need with the data during the day. You can use ssCore.App.setNotify to listen for when the user tries to close your application. When you get that notification, you can then do whatever you need with your data, and then force the application to close with forceQuit.

HTH

Paul

Posted by Morphosis in SWF Studio V3 on Apr 30 2008, 06:54 am

Thats great and so quick!

Thanks Paul