Posted by Jhon in SWF Studio V3 on Mar 20 2008, 01:53 pm

Hello,

I recall mentioning this before during beta, latest SWf Studio V3.5 setup fails to perform the file association for spf, apg and spx file format under Vista 64-bit SP1.

Can I have SWF Studio V3.4, so that I can install it and re-install V3.5 over it. :(

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Mar 20 2008, 07:16 pm

The installer doesn't create the association, it's done when you start SWF Studio. That way, if someone monkeys with the file associations we can fix it. It's always worked this way. If the associations aren't being made under Vista then we'll look into that.

Posted by Jhon in SWF Studio V3 on Mar 20 2008, 07:35 pm

[request for deletion! The post that is :), which is not to be confused by me, even thus you are very tempted to do so ;) ]

Posted by Jhon in SWF Studio V3 on Mar 20 2008, 07:36 pm

Well V3.4 made the file associate work fine.
Here is the fix for a regfile:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.spf]
@="SWFStudioFileFormat"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SWFStudioFileFormat]
@="SWF Studio Project File"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SWFStudioFileFormat\DefaultIcon]
@="{path to SS}\defaultIcon.ico"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SWFStudioFileFormat\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SWFStudioFileFormat\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SWFStudioFileFormat\shell\open\command]
@="{path to SS}\\studio.exe \"%1\""

Hope this saves you some time!

Also, it solves the issues of the 2 "Open" items in the context menu, that I mentioned sometime ago. And it is how every other new programs does their file association. I guess this is the new proper way of doing it, and that maybe Vista is more strict on the subject. From my tests it also works for Windows XP SP2, however I don't know for early version of Windows.

P.S: I did not apply it on my computer, in case you need a tester.

Posted by Jhon in SWF Studio V3 on Mar 21 2008, 11:56 am

Mystery solved... you have to run SWF Studio V3.5 as administrator (the real one, not to be confused with the account name called Administrator, which is in reality PowerUser and even less). That is why the file association should be done in SWF Studio setup instead. This can cause issue, if in a company computer, the admin installs SWF Studio, however decide to not run it (so unchecked the mark in the setup to run SWF Studio), and log-out, to allow the real user to use your software. That user won't be able to right click and do "Run As Administrator", as he will be asked for the Administrator account. This simply creates complications for nothing.

If a person plays monkey on the registry and damages the file association of SWF Studio, well in my opinion, that is their problem, and they must have fun re-installing the program to get it fixed.

I was wondering since day 1, how you manage to write in the registry under Vista without admin privileges, even myself I can't do that.

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Mar 24 2008, 11:15 am

We used to have an option to launch SWF Studio at the end of the installation. When the user did this, THAT instance of SWF Studio inherited administrator privileges from the setup.exe and could make the necessary registry changes. However, that caused problems if the user entered their unlock info in this mode so we removed it. I should have moved the file association code to the setup at that point as well. I'll create a problem report for this and fix it for the next build.