Posted by kicktherabbit in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 19 2008, 09:22 am

Are there any known problems with SWF Studio in Korea?
Our recent project doesn't run on Korean systems.

Posted by mbd in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 19 2008, 11:12 am

It doesn't run at all? Does it launch and crash? Is it just some functionality doesn't work? Do you see the process in Task Manager?

Posted by purga in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 19 2008, 04:58 pm

If you change the default language to English then it should work, in the case if the process is in Task Manager.

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 19 2008, 05:06 pm

You may also want to try V3.5 to take advantage of some improvements in unicode support.

Posted by kicktherabbit in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 21 2008, 04:59 am

wich are the known problems with unicode?

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 21 2008, 12:06 pm

The plugins have all been updated to work properly with unicode. We fixed the App.showXxx dialog commands to work properly with unicode characters. The Popup, Tray and Tooltip functions all got overhauled. There were probably more changes than that, but I'd have to dig through the release notes to find out everything we changed.

A number of these changes were done specifically to support a customer running SWF Studio apps on Korean systems. We installed a Korean version of XP here for testing and V3.5 applications definitely work on Korean systems.

Posted by DBoog34 in SWF Studio V3 on Dec 16 2008, 02:26 pm

I am working on a small flash app that needs to be localized into Korean as well as several other languages. I built the app and after testing we found that it runs fine on all languages except for a Korean OS. I checked out the task manager and the .exe will quickly flash into the process list but immediately goes away. I have the most up to date version (v3.6) so I don't know what's going on.

To verify that it was not an issue in my app, I built a .swf file in SWF Studio that did nothing but display a textbox. Again, it was the same situation. It would run in everything but Korean.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Posted by Clovis in SWF Studio V3 on Dec 17 2008, 04:42 am

I'm planning to translate an application to asian languages too (Korean, Chinese and Japanese) so I'm interested in this discussion.

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Dec 17 2008, 10:28 am

We've tested with Korean, Japanese and Chinese installs on Windows XP and haven't had any problems, except for some text problems with some Korean fonts but that should be working now.

We're currently investigating a problem where switching regional settings to Japanese causes apps to fail to launch but they run fine on a full Japanese install.

Are you running on a full Korean install of Windows or are you just changing the regional settings on an English system?

Posted by DBoog34 in SWF Studio V3 on Dec 17 2008, 10:45 am

It seems this is only a problem on a full Korean OS. It runs just fine when you change the regional settings.

Posted by DBoog34 in SWF Studio V3 on Dec 17 2008, 01:10 pm

Alright, so through some in depth research we figured out the problem. The issue is actually not just in a Korean OS as it can easily occur in any language. Any exe that is built through SWF Studio will not run if the path contains foreign/Asian characters. I'm not sure of the actual range of characters that will make it fail.

For example, create a folder on your C:/ drive and name it ㅙ쇼 (or any Korean characters). Put a .swf file through SWF Studio and place it into that folder and try to run.

This will not run:

C:\ㅙ쇼\TEST.exe

But this runs fine:

C:\temp\TEST.exe

The reason why we found a Korean OS to be a problem was because we were copying the file and trying to run from the desktop. The word "desktop" it translated in the file path for a Korean OS where it wasn't for Japanese or Chinese.

Posted by @st@l@vist@ in SWF Studio V3 on Dec 17 2008, 03:41 pm

DBoog34, Check this.

How works a path with Korean characters with the ssCore.FileSys plugin?

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Dec 17 2008, 04:29 pm

That works fine. I just tested it b creating a text field called path_txt with the path (C:\Documents and Settings\Tim\Desktop\ㅙ쇼\test.txt) in it and then using this code to read the contents of the text file and it works correctly.

var r = ssCore.FileSys.readFile({path:path_txt.text});
result_txt.text = r.Error.description + "\r\n" + r.result;
What doesn't work right now is what DBoog34 described i.e. when you place the SWF Studio EXE in a folder with Asian characters in the name.

The giant "unicode issues" post by @st@l@vist@ still needs to be addressed as well.

We're looking into this...

Posted by DBoog34 in SWF Studio V3 on Jan 30 2009, 08:46 am

Has there has been any progress on this issue? I saw that it is still an open task and was wondering if it would be fixed soon. Thank you!