Posted by d-train in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 10 2016, 06:08 pm

I am not sure if this is related to any Windows 10 updates, but I have been functioning fine with it since July last year (except for the opening of files, etc. as previously mentioned) until probably the past week.

I have seen two things...

1. When clicking on build in SS for the first time, it sits there at "starting build" for around 1 minute and 50 seconds, subsequent builds start straight away. I have seen similar delays like this previously, but never for this long.
2. When running my app, where it used to take 2-5 seconds to open it now also takes around 1 minute and 50 seconds to open. I have not changed anything in relation to the program and it doesn't matter whether it is a fresh build launching from SS or an older one I double click to run, the times are the same.

Has anyone else seen anything like this and can anyone offer me any assistance to get this back up to speed?

I am using Flash Version 18.0.0.203 for the build, if that helps - but even running it unbundled I am seeing the same thing.

The only version of the app that seems to run fine is one that is around 9yrs old, created using an older flash player and also using Zinc's MDM.

Help!

Thx

D

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 10 2016, 07:29 pm

Watch what happens in Task Manager when you start a build or start an app. I'm guessing you'll see Windows Defender start using CPU as it scans SWF Studio and/or the EXE you're building. Creating or modifying EXE files (which is what SWF Studio does) is usually considered "suspicious behavior". If you've done an update/upgrade recently, you might have to whitelist SWF Studio and your app again.

Posted by d-train in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 10 2016, 08:16 pm

QUOTE: from northcode;55084
Watch what happens in Task Manager when you start a build or start an app. I'm guessing you'll see Windows Defender start using CPU as it scans SWF Studio and/or the EXE you're building. Creating or modifying EXE files (which is what SWF Studio does) is usually considered "suspicious behavior". If you've done an update/upgrade recently, you might have to whitelist SWF Studio and your app again.

I have BitDefender installed and now that I have the signed certificate, it is okay with my app. With BitDefender installed, it disables the Windows Defender program. Even though I have the signed certificate, I also have the application as an exception with BitDefender, so BitDefender ignores it anyway. I have also temporarily disabled my AV and the result is the same, which is why I am leaning to Windows 10 as the cause.

I can run the same thing with the same AV software installed on another device running another OS and it opens as expected, it is just my development Windows 10 system that is having issues.

Looking at TaskManager, I see my app with CPU usage at 0 and memory usage pretty constant, as is my AV application. When the app finally appears the CPU jumps to 8 and then drops back to 0.

Thx

D

Posted by d-train in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 10 2016, 08:25 pm

The following updates have been installed in the past couple of weeks...

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511: January 27, 2016
Cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1511: February 9, 2016
MS16-022: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: February 9, 2016

There were also some Office related updates, but I don't see those as relevant.

D

Posted by d-train in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 13 2016, 08:30 pm

I have removed all windows related updates (the cumulative and flash ones) back to the 18th of December last year and the same thing, so maybe it isn't Windows after all?

I am consistently getting a time of 1 min and 50 seconds (give or take a few seconds) from when I double click on the application to when it appears.

I cannot see any spike in CPU or memory when trying to open my applications, I can't determine what is happening.

To make things even stranger, if I use the SWF Studio Debug Monitor program to see what is happening on program launch the application suddenly starts opening in less than 10 seconds.

I am using Flash Player 18.0.0.203, is there a later one built I could use to see if it is that?

Thx

Damien

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 14 2016, 03:00 pm

This could be caused by the code that tries to locate the debug monitor in your SWF Studio app. It basically looks at all the top level windows and asks for their window class and their caption. If it doesn't find the debug monitor then all future debug calls (internal and ssDebug.trace) are disabled. If there's a window out there that hangs or waits when we try to talk to it, that could easily cause a long delay like you're seeing because of how the SendMessage function works. If a new top level window exists in Windows 10 that behaves badly then this could explain what you're seeing. SWF Studio makes the same checks at startup so it would explain SWF Studio starting slow as well. If I give you a way to completely disable debug output then this could fix the issue.

Posted by d-train in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 14 2016, 05:16 pm

Even if I am running the app without Debug enabled?

Thx

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 15 2016, 02:01 pm

Yup. The debug flag lets you turn off ssDebug.trace statements so you don't have to strip them out of your code. However, there is also internal debug info that's sent to the monitor (as you've probably seen) IF the debug monitor is presnet. There's a quick (well it's supposed to be) check done at startup to look for the debug monitor and I think it's this check that's causing the problems you're seeing.

Posted by d-train in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 15 2016, 03:19 pm

okay no problem, I will wait for a fix.

Thx

Posted by d-train in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 20 2016, 01:27 am

Hey Tim,

Any movement on the fix, it is making demonstrations quite embarrassing as they all ask why it takes so long to open?

Thx

Damien

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 23 2016, 06:53 pm

It's done. I need to do a full build and then I'll send you an update. Look for it later tonight.

Posted by d-train in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 23 2016, 11:48 pm

QUOTE: from northcode;55098
It's done. I need to do a full build and then I'll send you an update. Look for it later tonight.

thanks Tim

Posted by d-train in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 25 2016, 05:00 am

QUOTE: from northcode;55098

How did you go?

Thx

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 25 2016, 01:37 pm

i didn't get it finished but I will get it done tonight... :whip:

Posted by d-train in SWF Studio V3 on Feb 26 2016, 06:40 am

QUOTE: from northcode;55103
i didn't get it finished but I will get it done tonight... :whip:

Thanks Tim, how did you go - or is my time zone calculations off :) ?

Posted by TrojanBarber in SWF Studio V3 on Mar 01 2016, 10:56 am

I have exactly same issue with Windows 10... Over a minute to start .exe.
A fix would be awesome.
Thanks in advance, Tim :)

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Mar 02 2016, 05:47 am

Send your email address to support@northcode.com and you can help test the fix.

Damien, the fix is coming your way as soon as the upload is finished :)