Posted by Captain Mal in SWF Studio V3 on Mar 21 2011, 11:33 am

I have a FullScreen projector that is basically displaying multiple full-frame JPEGs. When they go FullScreen, they get un-smooth and pixelated. I've tried adding the .smooth option to the bitmaps in Flash - but it doesn't seem to help.

Is there a way to force SWF Studio to smooth the bitmaps when going FullScreen?

Thanks!

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Mar 21 2011, 11:45 am

According to Flash Smoothing Issue some bitmaps can't be smoothed, so make sure that's not your issue. It will also depend on the size of the original image and how much you're stretching it. There are limits to how much you can resize an image without distortion.

Posted by mbd in SWF Studio V3 on Mar 21 2011, 11:45 am

Do you see the same thing in the Flash Player in Internet Explorer?

Posted by Captain Mal in SWF Studio V3 on Mar 21 2011, 12:14 pm

I'll keep looking into it. My original images are HD size: 1920x1080. I have it set to go FullScreen in SWF Studio - so depending on what type of monitor its displayed on, sometimes it scales it down - sometimes it scales it up...

Posted by Captain Mal in SWF Studio V3 on Mar 21 2011, 02:35 pm

Okay - I figured it out... and it was an amateur mistake.

I had to turn smoothing 'on'. Thats it. In the library, right click... go to properties - and enable smoothing in the checkbox.

Why it is OFF by default makes no sense to me... who is ever going to want their content to look worse rather than better?

So, now that I've researched and found this - I am left with one last question:

Is BitMap.smoothing = true ; used just for dynamically loaded images, and the checkbox is used for library content images? Does it access the same exact code in Flash - and smooth things the same way? If anyone knows... I'd like have the full answer... still not sure 'why' it works the way it does...

Posted by mbd in SWF Studio V3 on Mar 21 2011, 04:16 pm

The smoothing default was changed in Flash player 9 as a way to improve performance.

Your understanding is correct, the smoothing property is for loaded JPGs, the checkbox for library images. Not sure what the Flash player itself is doing, but because one is a compiletime setting and one a runtime setting, I would venture to say it might be handled differently. Seeing as you are setting the value in the library and it will be compiled with that setting, it would make sense that the compiler performs the smoothing on the image. But, Adobe would be the ones to know for sure.